Saturday, March 8, 2014

#33 - Harvest Dinner - The Illustrations

I'm doing something I haven't done before when it comes to the illustrations for Harvest Dinner:  I am using images I've used previously.  Until now, every story I have illustrated for The Book of Bartholomew has been a new and unique creation.  In fact, each story I've illustrated seems to be in a completely different style than the previous one.

page 1 - Bartholomew Makes a Decision
Page 1 _ Harvest Dinner













As I was painting the image for the cover of this story, I felt like it was similar to the image I painted for the very first story, Bartholomew Makes a Decision.  This made me think that I should also play off of the images on the pages, but do them a bit different than before.  There are a lot of similar elements in these stories.  Both are about a meal.  The first is Bartholomew eating alone and the second is with his family and friends.  Both meals get interrupted.  So, there should be similar pages.  Here, you will see an example from Bartholomew Makes a Decision and then one from Harvest Dinner:

I am also busy finishing up the last stories in this book.  As I am doing this, I am becoming aware of the need to bring certain early elements back into the stories so that a sense of closure will happen by the end.  In similar fashion, I am thinking how to bring closure visually to the illustrations that have appeared throughout this book.  For the last several stories I will be going back to some of the artists who have been involved in this project and give them more specific assignments in order to bring this about.

I am frantically trying to complete the cover illustration of a wok full of vegetables.  The story is to be published Friday morning and I still have a little ways to go.  Vegetables in a wok?

More food paintings?

Yes, they make a stir fry of vegetables they harvested from the garden.  Well, here is the Harvest Dinner illustration almost done:


Here is the cover illustration for Bartholomew Makes a Decision:


Here is the final cover for Harvest Dinner:




Harvest Dinner is published this Friday, December 30, 2011 at The Book of Bartholomew.

No comments:

Post a Comment