Friday, December 7, 2012

Bartholomew and a Carload of Trouble - Music by Thea Ennen

Thea and I go way back to July of 2012.  We met up nort' on Mallard Island.  All week long she was making a textile art piece of a tree.  It was beautiful and I thought that was what she did as an artist.  She sang a couple of songs in the evenings when everyone else pulled out their guitars and the piano, but she didn't seem to want to play or sing much.  Then, when leaving, she gave me a cd of hers.  I listened to it at least half the drive home - about 2 hours.  I listened to it over and over.

From Thea's website:  

I sing and write to make a sense of my existence - my place in this world, in this body. Each song is a specific journey down a road that is either familiar or less traveled... they are my magic carpets to see again a memory or expectation. I use songs - melodies and words - to guide me, like a rudder through the waters of life. Sometimes I like to take a forgotten channel to the mouth of a secret lake.

I think I sing in public to reassure this kind of journey- to never lose touch with what is instinctual.
-Thea Ennen

THE SKINNY:
Long a favorite is the club/coffee house circuit of the Midwest, piano-playing/singing/songwriting, Thea Ennen is an artist in every sense of the word (she also writes poetry, draws, sculpts, does arts and crafts and even designs clothing for theatrical productions.) Her self-produced, self-penned "All Aboard" won her the Minnesota Folk Recording of the Year.

SOUNDS LIKE:
One might superficially classify Thea's music as countryfolk, but that would be selling her far to short. She is simply a wonderful songstress, with a penchant for creating music that is multi-textured, melodically rich and lyrically adept.
-"Album Network"

THE CURATOR:
With a full creative plate, Thea has undertaken curatorship of The Little Parrot Art Sanctuary in Stillwater, Minnnesota where she tends the creative spawn of local artists in the St. Croix River valley.

I'm so happy to have Thea helping out with The Book of Bartholomew.  She is very generous - flowers grow in her footprints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment