Thursday, March 14, 2013

At the Library - Music

This week brings another Last Triumph Collective artist named JR and his band Sine Circle.  I tried to figure out what kind of music goes with a story that takes place in a library?  I couldn't find any songs that talked about a library.  Then I tried to find songs about friendship, like the one that is deepening between Bartholomew and Topping.  That didn't work either.  Then I thought "what kind of music would I listen to if I was studying?"  Sine Circle!  It is smooth but has complex rhythms.  It makes you want to move your body, yet it doesn't swallow you up, so you can still think.  It has a way of sneaking up on you, letting you groove, and then letting you go back to what you're doing.  It is repetitive yet inventive enough, playing off of musical motifs, that it never becomes boring.

JR and crew walk a fine line and do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment